By now your child has probably tucked themselves away in their room studying hard for the exams. Most will be locked away with books and revision guides, struggling to stay awake through the boredom. Here are ten ways to keep them going.
- Study area – no matter where they study, create a suitable environment and make sure you get rid of as many distractions as you possibly can
- Material needs – check, check and check again that they have all the information they need. Ask teachers and reliable friends if in doubt
- Revision time – encourage your child to create a revision timetable to manage all subject areas. Include social time and breaks.
- Snacking healthy – don’t let them fall foul of the sugar rush or caffeine crash. Eating simple food like nuts*, seeds, berries and drinking plenty of water can give them the lasting energy boost they need without the horrible side effects.
- Brain breaks – check that they have included breaks in their revision timetable. This will significantly reduce the risk of revision overload. The brain needs to work but it also needs to rest.
- Flash test – help them with quick quiz testing. This is a great way to get involved and test their knowledge. As a parent you play the role of quiz master and your child is in the hot seat. Make it fun!
- Rest easy – getting a good nights sleep is important. Your child will wake up feeling refreshed and ready to start a new day.
- A little a day keeps the stress away – no matter which exam comes first or last make sure they do a little of each subject each week all the way to the day of the exam.The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.
- Get creative – It is true, using highlighters, brightly coloured paper and post-it notes can really help them to learn and retain more information from their revision notes.
- Keep on keeping on – no matter how hard it gets encourage them to keep going, they will get there in the end. Every journey starts with a single step.
To find out more about how you can help your child through their exams click below and get instant access to the book You and Your Child the Path to Success.